What an amazing effort to raise funds to support the finalisation of the build and fitout of our Federation Project Sanctuary: Shelter for Women in Fiji by SISEAP Member Sonia Casanova.
Sonia completed the 42km run at the annual Auckland New Zealand Marathon on 20th October 2019, with support from Federation Immediate Past President Theresa Lyford, along with SISEAP Member Petra Thoma completing the 5km walk section of the race.
Sonia's efforts raised a total of $4,230 which included a $500 donation from Club SI Narrandera. These funds will go towards the final construction of the Federation Project Sanctuary: Shelter for Women in Lautoka Fiji, helping in the fitout of the building so that it can be a complete shelter for women and children who are victims of domestic violence and natural disasters.
Sonia said, "There were times throughout the marathon when I was getting tired, both physically and mentally, and I thought of the amazing support I received from so many of my Soroptimist sisters in the lead up to this event, and it really kept me going".
Your donations are still needed to finalise this stage of the build.
Urgent Funding is NOW required for:
- Beds and Suitable Bedding
- Free-standing wardrobes
- Towels, Shower Mats, Hand Towels
- Lounge Furniture, tables and chairs, cushions and other suitable furnishings
- Fridge and Freezer
- Suitable crockery – plates, bowls etc
- Cooking Equipment – pots, pans, various utensils
- Linen: Table Cloths, Hand Towels, Tea Towels etc
- Dining Table and Chairs
- Desks and Chairs for Counsellors, Lawyers, and ancillary support staff/personnel to provide support services
- Computer and Printer
- Installation of Telephone lines and a telephone
- Window Coverings for each room for privacy
- Floor Coverings or heavy-duty mats in each room
What your Club can do:
1. Provide funding/donations for one of the rooms or areas listed
2. If your Club cannot help furnish a whole room, choose one or two of the above listed items and agree to provide donations to enable us to purchase those items on your behalf.
3. Download the new Federation Project Sanctuary: Shelter for Women flyer and email this out to potential donors or print out to hand out at your next event.